Friday, July 13, 2007

Day 1 - Las Vegas, NM

We started our morning at Chisholm Trail Coffee Bar in Ponder, TX. Lisa met me and Eric for a quick breakfast and send-off. Donna, the "Trail Boss" served us some good coffee, breakfast sandwiches and a sweet roll.

We put on the rain gear and headed towards NM! It was not too long until we encountered rain.

I realized after a few hours that my new Frogg Toggs were not doing the trick! My ass (yes, my butt!!!) was soaking wet, which was not a good start to the day! When we stopped to get gas, I decided to change close and found my clothes were also wet! Sometimes you get what you pay for! I purchased a $10 "water-proof" duffel bag from Boaters World. Well, it ain't water-proof!!!

We stopped at Academy in Amarillo so I could buy some compression bags to keep my clothes dry. After crossing into NM, things started looking up. The following are a few shots on Hwy 104

We arrived in Las Vegas around 6:45 MT. We stopped at K-Bob's for dinner. Not our first choice, but we wanted to get to the camp ground before dark. We checked in at the KOA, pitched the tents, and got ready for bed.

Total mileage today was 580. Tomorrow, we travel to Grand Junction, CO.

To see the all photo's from today, clear here.

No comments: